Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Seen while canvassing - nature


Among the new things I did in the past two years was knocking on doors on behalf of political candidates.  This, for some strange reason, is called canvassing.

I am not a star canvasser, but I did manage to go out canvassing 19 times this summer and fall.  Here are photos of what we saw while canvassing, presented in several parts.

Part I: Nature

On one of my first canvasses this summer, we saw a snake sunning itself right near the front door where we were supposed to knock.  We left that house quickly.  Here are some other examples of nature we saw.

Part II is here.

Raindrops on berries
Foliage blocking the front walkway, indicating that this entrance
is not used too often.



This cobweb was NOT a Halloween decoration.
Another sign that the front door is not
used too often.
This spider dropped in for a visit just
as the voter opened the door.



Peanuts inexplicably left on the front walk.
Is this for local deer?  Squirrels?  Elephants?

We encountered many, many dogs.

Wet leaves are not a canvasser's friend





Fall was late and I was busy.  This photo was taken on the last day I went canvassing





3 comments:

the queen said...

Wikipedia says “The origin of the term is an older spelling of ‘canvas’, to sift by shaking in a sheet of canvas, hence to discuss thoroughly.” Canvas doesn’t seem to be an effective sifter. So I guess you’re supposed to be sifting through the issues as well as giving out pamphlets? Did you do any sifting?

Suburban Correspondent said...

It's more a matter of sifting through the voters, to determine which ones you will focus your get out the vote efforts on in the last 2 weeks of the campaign.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Hmmm... so canvas can mean sifting, and canvassing is sifting through the voters. I would have never come up with that on my own. I am a little disappointed you didn't photograph the snake, but your autumnal scenery is lovely.
Sorry about the cobwebs at my front door. You're right, we use it only when guests -- and spiders! -- go to that door.