Saturday, July 11, 2015

Life Forms of New River Beach


Oh, those cold Canadian waters!
My younger brother is the kind of person who is likely to say, on a day of less than ideal weather, "Let's go to the beach! No one will be there!" And that is what he said when we were in New Brunswick, Canada in June.

When we were kids, my parents took us on a trip to New Brunswick, to visit my uncle, aunt, and cousins.  One of the places we all went was New River Beach, which is on the Bay of Fundy.  I have no recollection my first visit there.

This time around, the weather wasn't actually so miserable; it was pretty normal for New Brunswick - cloudy, windy, and about 60 degrees F.  There was practically no one on the beach, and yet, there was plenty of life around.

Here is the New River, on its way to the Bay of Fundy.
My brave niece, observing the white water up close

The New River, as it enters the Bay of Fundy, rather frothily




And here is the Bay of Fundy at New River Beach.  
Click to embiggen to get a better view of life and its forms.

My brother (closer) and my niece (much further
 away, at water's edge)

Yours truly, in attire appropriate for a Canadian beach in June

Some life forms like to live big.

Bay of Fundy seacoast

Sand dollar!

My brother explores the field of seaweed
I could not bring myself to walk across the rocks covered with seaweed.  I was afraid of falling.  Nevertheless, I was still able to get a pretty good view of Life Forms in Tidepools.
The seaweed life form

Interesting sea worm life form


Barnacle life form
The snail life form
An interesting pattern in the sand.  Is this evidence of
a life form?  

A squiggly line in the sand.  We were not sure if this
was caused by water flowing, or some kind of creature.

They had to walk across an awful lot of seaweed to get up there.
They were rewarded with a glance at life in tidepools,
and a glimpse of a seal out in the open water.


And finally, here is what not to do with your cell phone when you are standing in a tidepool.
(I hope this video clip works.  It's been a long time since I posted a moving picture.)


My phone, which could also be considered a life form, is still alive.  It got some sand in it, but I cleaned it off and it works fine.



4 comments:

Cassi said...

One of the unfortunate things about phones is that they make slippery cameras. We were worried about this several times when we took photos over stones walls, high above the subject of the photo :-)

I have to agree with your brother --that was a great day to go to the beach. Nothing ruins a good beach like other people! That looks like a fun area, but I would not walk across seaweed either.

The Crislers said...

That video! The tidepools! The field of seaweed! "Frothily"! So many great things.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! That looks like such an interesting place to poke around--those lines in the sand are especially cool.

smalltownme said...

Dropping one's phone in a tidepool is much more exciting and less embarrassing that dropping one's phone into the cat's water bowl. Just sayin'. Bay of Fundy is on my bucket travel list, believe it or not.