Sunday, September 25, 2011

Coming home

I just got back from a trip to help out my aunt.  Six hours is a long drive for me to do by myself.  I am profoundly glad to be home from four days of difficult and tedious tasks.

Looking on the bright side, here are a few of the many things about this trip that I am grateful for:

- Light traffic on the highway, both ways

- Not being too horribly allergic to my aunt’s house.

- Staying with my high school friend.  I’m finding it hard to express in words how good it felt to reconnect with her, and to be so welcomed at her house, and how therapeutic it was for me to have her to talk to.  I enjoyed this part of my trip immensely.

- The mug which said “Keep calm and carry on.”  Usually I don’t pay much attention to slogans on mugs, but these words were just exactly right for the occasion.

- My aunt’s willingness to work on the tasks we had to do.  We accomplished a lot.  There’s still more to do, but I’m grateful for the progress we made.

- Pumpkin muffins.  One of the many reasons I love fall.

- Old-fashioned popcorn – made in a pot, not in the microwave!

- Time to pray and think.

- Managing to not trip over the two cats, who always seemed to be underfoot.

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...
- by Eric Idle
Cats underfoot.  Ah, ah, ah CHOO, I say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you survived. You are a good woman to lend a hand--in spite of the time and the time away from home and the allergic reactions. (Seriously--that last one is a HUGE sacrifice.)