Saturday, February 11, 2023

Super Superb - Owls

I have an affinity for owls as expressed in art.  And sometimes in real life at the Aviary. 


When I was a kid I somehow acquired the likeness of an owl (stuffed, i.e. three dimensional) on a perch.  I think this was a Halloween decoration.  


When I was a young adult, at Christmas I received a gift in a large box.  It was the old trick - a box within a box within a box. 



And at the center of it all was my owl. This may have been my parents’ way of hinting that I should move my stuff out of their house already.  Eventually that happened but this gift was not the catalyst.




Despite that experience, I still like theoretical owls. I like the *idea* of owl.  I am all in for platonic owls.  Owls in art are superb.


I have nothing against real live owls but I don’t particularly want to become friendly with any owls.  I hope they are doing fine on their own.  And anyway, state law does not allow humans to adopt owls as pets.


Herewith some of my favorite depictions of Superb Owls.


Our own owl statue which stands 
guard at our front door.
With gladiolus flowers,
miraculously not devoured
by deer.




Restroom decor.  I think this was at a vegan restaurant.



Snowy Owl at the Aviary



A superb owl hook



Eastern Screech Owl at the Aviary





Owl planter - seen while canvassing






Our superb owl

3 comments:

Bibliomama said...

My daughter's beloved third grade teacher loved owls so we bought her one for every occasion that year. I love them too, more theoretically than practically - they kind of freak me out, honestly, what with the backwards-head-capability and have you seen a Harpy eagle? Terrifying. But they are a pleasing shape and a good representation of wisdom.

Bibliomama said...

Owl. Harpy owl.

Common Household Mom said...

@bibliomama I just looked up images of Harpy Owl (or also called Harpy Eagle). You are right - it is a completely terrifying creature.