Monday, April 11, 2022

The Gospel of John, Chapter 16: I Have Conquered the World



The Gospel of John, Chapter 16: Conquered the World


Read Chapter 16 here.


This chapter is a continuation of Chapters 14-15, with Jesus imparting his wisdom to the disciples.



Don’t stumble

Things are going to get very difficult, and you will even be killed.  When that happens, remember that I (Jesus) told you it would happen.


Mishmash of contradictions

“But now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, “Where are you going?”  (verse 16:5)

Yes they did, back in Chapter 14.


Jesus continues - it’s to your advantage for me to go, because otherwise the Helper (Holy Spirit) will not come.  The Holy Spirit is going to point out how the world is wrong about sin, righteousness, and judgment.  I have a lot to more to tell you, but you are not ready to hear it yet.  The Holy Spirit will guide you.


You won’t see me, and then you will see me

Jesus says:

“A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me.” 

The disciples are confused by this statement.  Jesus says to them, you are going to be sad, but your sadness will turn into joy, because I will see you again.


Again Jesus repeats the theologically difficult statement that we heard in Chapter 14:

“Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.” (verses 16:23-24)


The wording in The Message translation:

“This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I’ve revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he’ll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!

This wording changes the meaning to be more restrictive than “ask anything.” Probably for this very reason, many call The Message an interpretation rather than a translation.  But in reality every translation is an interpretation.  The Message makes more sense to me for these verses.



Figures of speech

Jesus admits that he has been speaking in figures of speech but  

“The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father.”


The disciples say, yes NOW we understand everything you are saying.  And NOW we believe you came from God.  Jesus predicts that the disciples will be separated, and will face hardship.  He speaks words of hope:

“But take courage; I have conquered the world!”



Metaphors:  stumbling, seeing

Images and themes: troubles and pain to come, the Spirit, sorrow turning to joy

People/Beings:   Jesus, the disciples

Places: we lost the sense of place because this chapter consists of discussions with the disciples, not events.


No comments: