Friday, March 11, 2022

The Gospel of John, Chapter 8: To Throw the Stone

 



The Gospel of John, Chapter 8  - To Throw the Stone


Read Chapter 8 here.


Jesus says some extremely provocative things in this chapter, and it’s a long chapter.  Basically it’s a big argument between Jesus and the Jewish authorities.


The first 11 verses of this chapter are in brackets, because some ancient manuscripts of the Bible don’t include it.  This section is often called “The Woman Caught in Adultery” but The Message more appropriately calls it “To Throw the Stone”, which puts the emphasis where it should be.


It’s the morning after the events of Chapter 7.  Jesus apparently spent overnight at the Mount of Olives, but returns to the temple the next day, and does some teaching.  The scribes and Pharisees want to trick Jesus so that they can arrest him.  They bring before Jesus a woman who was caught committing adultery, and try to get Jesus to contradict what the law says her punishment should be - death by stoning.  Jesus ignores them, doodling in the dirt while they prattle on. Finally, Jesus famously says, “Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”  Gotcha!  Now if one of ‘em throws a stone at the woman, it’s the equivalent of claiming “I’m sinless!”  The scribes and Pharisees all slink away.


Remember who is entitled to throw the first stone, O Best Beloved.


Jesus tells the woman that he hasn’t condemned her, and neither has anyone else.  He advises her to go on her way, and to not sin again.  So it’s not that the woman did no wrong.  It’s that she is not going to be accused or have to bear punishment.  (verse 11)


And now, another of the “I am” statements of this gospel:

12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.”

A beautiful statement, referring to the creation story and the poem at the start of this gospel:

John 1:4-5 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.


The Pharisees question Jesus’ authority to say such a bold thing.  He says that his testimony comes from “the Father who sent me” and further accuses the Pharisees of not knowing God.


Jesus tells the Pharisees, “I am going away” which is a euphemism for death.  Jesus says “You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world.” (verse 21)  More provocatively, he tells them in verse 24 that  “you will die in your sins unless you believe that I am he.”


He who?  The Pharisees understandably ask “Who are you?”  Ah, that’s the crux of it.  So far Jesus has said, “I am the light of the world… I judge no one…” (and immediately contradicting himself) “my judgment is valid.”  He’s like the guy in the beer commercial:  I judge no one, but if I do, I judge not alone but with the Father who sent me.  


However, I don’t think the Pharisees are asking that question with genuine curiosity.  This gospel has already said that the authorities are looking to trip up Jesus so they can arrest him and kill him.


But in response to their question Jesus responds with a snippy “Why do I speak to you at all?”   Eventually he says “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I am he…”   “The Son of Man” is most likely another term for “Messiah” - the anointed one.


Some of the Jews hear what he is saying and believe in him. Remember that from Chapter 6 we could interpret “believe in him” to mean that these people decided to align with Jesus, to be loyal to Jesus.  They decided to “belove God and all that God beloves.”  Jesus says (verse 31):  

“If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth and the truth will make you free.”

The text doesn’t explain what he means by “continue in my word.” The CEV translation says “If you keep on obeying what I have said, you are truly my disciples.”  As far as I can tell, what Jesus has said is: Believe in me.  I am from God. Follow me.  Come to me.


The new believers don’t ask what “continue in my word” means. Instead, they object that they have never been slaves.  They are Jews, so they say “we are descendants of Abraham.”  Jesus replies, well, you kinda have been slaves because  “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin” (verse 34).  Remember, O Best Beloved, who can throw the first stone, from verses 8:1-11.   Jesus says to them, “Because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.  Which of you convicts me of sin?” (verse 45-46).  He is supposedly talking to the new believers but Jesus does not view them as believers in him; in his view they have not aligned with him.


The whole exchange descends into a horrible argument.  This section could easily be used for anti-Jewish purposes.  Jesus says to them, you are trying to kill me, and you don’t know God.  In fact, you are children of the devil.  Accusatory words!


Not surprisingly, they try to stone him, but he hides and escapes.


So this gospel’s antagonism between the Jews and Jesus continues.  The emphasis on belief in Jesus continues.  But we have received a gem of wisdom: no person is entitled to throw the first stone to punish another’s sin.  That’s what Jesus said, but just try and find anybody who lives by that maxim these days.




Metaphors: the light of the world, darkness, slavery.

Images and themes: no one is without sin, Jesus offers light and life, the authority of Jesus’ testimony, the

blindness of the Jews (the portrayal seems horribly antisemitic to me).

People/Beings:   Jesus, the people, scribes and Pharisees, a woman caught in adultery,

“The Jews”

Places: in Jerusalem: on a spot of dirt at the temple, then in the temple “Treasury” 


No comments: