Saturday, November 16, 2019

Thanksgiving survey 2019: Music



Some music performers I AM related to
L to R: Me, my Dad, my son


It's time for the Common Household time-honored tradition of the

Thanksgiving survey:Music


1. Name a music performer who is not related to you, for whom you are thankful.


2.  What is a musical tune you remember from your childhood?


Bonus:  Sing 30 seconds of a song which includes the word “thank”.


Please participate by giving your answers in the comments.  Happy Thanksgiving!



Music is a huge part of our lives in the Common Household, although we are not professional musicians. For us, music is an integral part of any educational philosophy.  Participating in a music ensemble teaches us cooperation, discipline, listening, and how to remember to bring our pencil to practice.  Music teaches math and creativity and beauty.  We are so thankful for music. 



A short composition by the Common Household Elder Daughter.


(For some reason I have no videos of the Common Household Son performing music.)

And the University of Pittsburgh Handbell Ensemble, including Common Household Younger Daughter.



5 comments:

Bridget said...

I don't really have an answer for number one, but one of my earliest memories is my grandmother singing How Much is That Doggy in the Window.

Angie said...

Carole King. And Itsy Bitsy Spider.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Your musical children are delightful, and I agree with you on music being important to a child's education -- not only for what it teaches them and their brains about other subjects but also because it brings delight into the world.

1. My friend Claudia is a flutist and a share-r of kitten photos
2. "Puff the Magic Dragon" (My mom went through a folk music phase and we had all of the Peter, Paul, and Mary albums.)
Bonus: "Now thank we all our God, with heart and soul and voices, who wondrous things has done, in whom his world rejoices; who from our mothers' arms has blest us on our way with countless gifts of love and still is ours today."

Bibliomama said...

1. Um, tons of them, but I guess if I'm picking right now -- Frank Turner, who I recently saw in concert.
2. That's What You Get for Lovin' Me by Gordon Lightfood, on 8-track in the car.
I love that you all play music. My husband and I both played in the school band (trumpet and trombone) and my daughter does now (clarinet), and was in the musical last year. We all sort of look on the kids' piano lessons as a dark period in our family's history, although there was one enjoyable memory where we emailed Angus's coach to say he'd be at the game but had to leave right after to go to his piano recital and the coach said "...oh. Wow, he's well-rounded."

Common Household Mom said...

Thank you for your responses! I am amazed at the variety of responses I'm getting on memories of a song in childhood.

@Bibliiomama - I laughed out loud when I read "We all sort of look on the kids' piano lessons as a dark period in our family's history," There was a time when I had to physically push my son into the piano lesson. (It turned out that it was the teacher he didn't like, not the piano or the music, and we found a different teacher after that.)

@Karen - you are so right about music bringing delight into the world, and when it is taught at school, bringing delight into lesson-time. I love that the goal of music lessons is (usually) not to get everything 100% right, but simply to make music, to make something beautiful or interesting to decorate time with.