Friday, May 18, 2018

And it doesn't have pockets, either

Me: frantically hauling clothes out of the closet, in an attempt to find a dress that fits my stress-laden ever-expanding “mortal coil,” to wear to a wedding we are leaving for, in an hour;

And

Further frantically raking through existing clothes to find a suitable sweater to wear on top of aforementioned fancy dress (which is never long-sleeved, or even any-sleeved because fashion designers) because is it the end of Apriluary, and the temp is a frigid 44 degrees in the sunlight, except there isn’t any sunlight because Pittsburgh.

Husband: flopping down on the bed, wearing his jeans and sweatshirt.

Me, turning to husband in a fury: “Why are you just lying there like that? We’re leaving in less than an hour!”

Husband:  “I’m here to watch the floor show.”

And

“What about that piece of fabric you bought for our trip to Israel?  You could wear that draped over your shoulders.”

Me, with contempt, “I’m not wearing a piece of fabric.  I’m wearing sleeves.”

Having found my “little black dress,” I wrathfully depart the bedroom to look for a safety pin.  Why?  Again, because fashion designers.   People who make little black dresses think that cleavage is a desirable thing, and by the time I get the size that fits my petite and yet carb-influenced rotundity, the amount of frontage revealed is ridiculous.  Nobody wants to see my wrinkled chest skin.

Banging on Younger Daughter’s door, I shout:  “Emergency!”  She opens the door, wide-eyed.  “I need a safety pin!” She used to have quite a stash of them, for the donning of her toga for Latin Club.  But no more.  I march off to find one in the kitchen junk drawer and apply it to the appropriate spot on my dress.   Finally, my mortal coil is ready for the event.

My husband took five minutes to get dressed.

The wedding was wonderful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finding just the thing to wear for special occasions is THE WORST. And one almost needs a special occasion dress for each season to boot. With matching footwear, jewelry and wrap/sweater.