Saturday, December 30, 2017

Nutmeg Cookie Logs


Nutmeg cookie logs, 2010
My family thinks that these cookies are our own secret, but I recently discovered that there is one other family who knows how to bake these cookies.

It was my sister-in-law's idea to decorate them in a distinctly Christmasy style.  It takes the patience of Job and surgical precision to decorate them thusly.  Now that we're past Christmas, you can dispense with the tiny red and green things and just sprinkle the icing with nutmeg, as the recipe says.

A friend in college dubbed these "Egg Nog Cookies," which makes sense, since the ingredients are partly the same as for egg nog.  But I can't stand egg nog, and I love these cookies.

Nutmeg Cookie Logs


For the cookie part
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons rum flavor
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon nutmeg


Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix together butter, vanilla, rum and sugar.  Blend in the egg.  Add sifted flour and nutmeg.  Mix.  Shape into logs (take a lump of dough, roll into a "snake" about 1 inch thick and cut into 1 1/2 inch-length logs).

Bake at 350 F for about 8 to12 minutes (I like to bake them until they are just golden on the bottom).  Makes about 5 dozen.

When cookies have cooled, spread a dab of icing on each one, and then immediately sprinkle with nutmeg.

Icing 
The following is half of the original recipe, but seems to make enough icing.

1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp rum flavor
1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp milk

Blend together until smooth.

2014 version.  I suspect these were decorated by
one of my kids.

2017 version


1 comment:

Patience_Crabstick said...

They look delicious! My recipe for cut out cookies, which my mom got from a Mrs. Filsinger, the elderly lady who lived next door to us, is similar in that it contains nutmeg - which really makes these cookies special. People always remark on how delicious they are, but there's no rum extract in my recipe.