Friday, May 13, 2016

Quotable Quotes for Morning Notes

A few days ago, one of my most loyal readers turned to me and said, “Mom, you haven’t posted anything on your blog lately.”

To which I replied something like, “Yep.  I’ve been busy.”

But inside I yelled, “THAT’S BECAUSE I’M IN THE SANDWICH!”   The sandwich generation, that is.  Doing my tasks as parent and as adult niece of elderly people and as regular citizen has lately been time-consuming.  More on that later, or perhaps not at all.

Nevertheless, I have faithfully been writing notes to my resident high school student for every school-day morning.  I usually write these on the back of scraps of paper discarded from other projects.  In addition to the “Monday Morning Quiz” format, I sometimes try to find interesting quotes. Wednesday night I was delighted to pull out a piece of scrap paper for my morning note and find a discarded powerpoint presentation, with quotes already on it from two different distinguished famous people!  This saved me the time it would take to look up and copy quotes.

I added my own personal touch and left the note at the table.


Pithy Quote Note

The quotes say “Success is not the key to happiness.  Happiness is the key to success.  If you love what you are doing you will be successful.”

And then I wrote:
Look!  It’s a pre-printed Morning Note!  With pithy quotes from famous people! 
I hope you have a pithy day. 
Today is Uncle’s birthday.
                      Love,
                      Pithy Mom


My husband saw the note the next morning.  He said, “What is on this Morning Note?”  I said, “Isn’t this great?!  It’s some quotes by famous people. Usually quotes are said by either Albert Einstein or Abraham Lincoln, but these are said by Albert Schweitzer and Buddha.”

 Husband said, “Here’s a quote: ‘Always check your zipper.’ Lincoln said that. It’s good advice.”


It wasn’t until much later that I saw that in the above note, both Albert Schweitzer and Buddha said exactly the same thing, and in English, even though neither of them was British or American.

Here are some other pithy quote Morning Notes:



John James Audubon
A Quote for today
“I would strongly advise you to make up your mind, shoulder your gun, muster all your spirits, and start in search of the interesting unknown.”
                                                - John James Audubon
(Either that, or just get to the bus stop on time.  I do not recommend taking a gun.)

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Lao Tzu
 “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
                                                            - Lao Tzu

“I hope you make it to the bus stop this morning.”
                                                            - Mom

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Dr Seuss

A quote for today:
            “Think left and think right and think low and think high.  Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!”                        
                                                            - Dr. Seuss
Have fun thinking thinks today!
                                                            Love,
                                                            Mom
* * * * * * * * * * * * 

Spike Milligan and April Winchell

Quotes for Thursday

And God said, “Let there be light” and there was light but the Electricity Board said He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.
                                                            - Spike Milligan

I wish you a tolerable Thursday.  That’s all any of us can hope for.
                                                            - April Winchell


I wish you a tolerable weekend.

3 comments:

Cassi said...

Your daughter is lucky to have such a dedicated mother-note-writer :-)

Every day when I drop my daughter off at school, I say "I hope you have a decent day." If I say "I hope you have a good day." she's sure to tell me how that is impossible, since she's going to high school.

The Crislers said...

I love your morning notes. Derek's mom got me a pad of pre-printed notes that you can tear out and stick in your kid's lunch box or whatever, but I find they're full of things I would never say, so I keep crossing parts out and adding other things in. "Rejoice! God has you in his hands!" becomes "Rejoice! You made it through another day and didn't punch that annoying kid in the teeth- I HOPE."

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

My 16yo is up and gone before I wake (usually) but I'm pretty sure he doesn't read anything before going. I'm impressed that your daughter reads those morning notes! She's a lucky teen to have a mom who is committed to helping her greet and navigate the day.

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." --Abraham Lincoln