Thursday, August 20, 2015

Time-traveling pie

Clearly this month has got the better of me.  This is a busy time of year for grain crops and the people who attempt to estimate them (including me).  Add these:

- transport to and from marching band camp,
- a church planning retreat,
- a major funeral and
- a shiva minyan gathering at our house,
- driving lessons for Younger Daughter,
- allergies waking me up every night,
- getting YD ready for 11th grade,
- getting ready to take one kid back to college,
- figuring out how to help my vision-impaired aunt get her car registered while I reside in a different state from said aunt and car,
- going to a baseball game on my birthday, for which we got to go onto the field which was way exciting and fun,

and I’ve got myself in a state of befuddlement. 

Note that the list above includes at least two reasons you should pay close attention out on the roads. 

We also have a major plumbing problem, so there are three holes in our walls (1 – living room ceiling, 2 – our bedroom, 3 – our bathroom) which are going to remain holes for a while.  This magnifies the sound of the plumbing being used.  The most egregious leak has been fixed, but Mr Plumber-man says that other pipes are about to burst.  He suggested that we move the piano out of the way of potential leaks.  Ha.  Like we could ever move that piano ourselves.


But any life that has a time-traveling pie in it is a good life.  Son and I made this blueberry pie way back in June, but we put it in the freezer because Canada, birthdays, moving stuff, and beachvacation.  


Timey-wimey pie.  You can tell it's a time-traveller because
it is wrapped in foil, just like a lot of characters in sci-fi shows.
Son said that it was folly to make a pie and not be able to eat it. He vowed that he was going to eat that pie before going back to college, which meant we had to get started on it last night.  Forced pie eating is also not a terribly bad thing, although what with all those things on that list above, any pretense of keeping to the Weight Watchers plan is completely shot. 


So life is good, if puzzling and sad sometimes. God created pi, which allowed us to create pie, and that is very good.
Not the prettiest pie we've ever made, but
oh, it tasted so good.  And it is gone.

7 comments:

The Crislers said...

Gracious. With a list like that, I'm thinking you need more of a bourbon-based dessert. Prayers and good vibrations coming your way from Iowa. Can you believe I've never had blueberry pie?

Angie said...

I think the pie looks beautiful and delicious. Sounds like life is really coming at you! Hang on and hold on tight!

Cassi said...

Your list makes me anxious. I hope you're dealing with the multitude of things with more grace than I've managed over the last couple of days! I might just go with a bourbon-based dessert myself, although blueberry pie sounds heavenly.

Common Household Mom said...

I will take whatever bourbon-based dessert recipes anybody has to offer. The microwave just broke.

smalltownme said...

Time-traveling food sound so much more tempting than frozen food. We ate a lot of it last week, clearing out various bits and pieces in the freezer while we were son-less. (The one that lives here is back now, the other one is on the road to school.)

Anonymous said...

Oh, pie!
And dang, you've been up to your eyeballs in BUSY.
Thank goodness for pie.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I feel like I should mail you a pie!
I do have a good recipe for rum cake. Let me know if you want it. (It's too heavy to mail.)