Friday, March 28, 2014

Unreally Smart Answers


The Common Household lists of the five smartest fictional characters ever are below.  You can find Ken Jennings’ list for Parade Magazine here.

And Ken Jennings’ explanation of why he did not pick any females is here.  I just want to point out that I have three females on my list, even though I have not read most of the books or seen the movies he referenced.  He pooh-poohs my choice of Hermione Granger – because she is not an adult she couldn’t compete with Sherlock.  Ha! She has magical intelligence and is not a drug addict.  But perhaps I lose points by listing a spider.

The original question, along with readers' answers in the comments, is here

Younger Daughter’s list
The Doctor (of Doctor Who)
Artemis Fowl
Ciel Phantomhive
Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes’ nemesis)
Dumbledore

My list
Sherlock Holmes
Hermione Granger
Encyclopedia Brown
Matilda Wormwood
Charlotte (of Charlotte’s Web)

What if the definition of “smartest” included emotional intelligence or culinary intelligence? 

Reading: one of Hermione Granger's favorite activities



3 comments:

Sarah said...

You guys made good, solid lists!

And I do like that Jennings DID come back and say that Salander should've been on his list. I get that Parade was basically only having him write the list as a stunt to promote the Mr. Peabody movie, but if kids were eliminated from the list, a dog should've been, too.

Anonymous said...

Those are some good lists. I thought of The Doctor, but I stuck to book people.

The Crislers said...

I was deeply impressed with your inclusion of Charlotte on this list, because she really *is* one of the smartest fictional characters ever, but I know she never would have occurred to me. That could be another list! "Smartest non-human fictional characters"