Friday, November 1, 2013

Political Costume a Win

This year for Halloween Youngest Daughter decided to go political.  If she had gone as "The Government Shutdown" her costume would not have been quite as relevant, but she chose the more comprehensive "Breakdown of Government" which is still applicable today.

There is an actual person in there.
In terms of ease of assemblage, this costume was great, as long as you have enough lead time.  A few weeks ago, I ordered an Uncle Sam Halloween costume online (none were available in the brick & mortar costume shop).  The cost was about $35, which is more than I am accustomed to spending on costumes, but I figured this one could come in handy at many times of the year and for many years to come.

If the goal is to win, then the citizens lose.
YD made the rest of the costume, which consisted of poster board with an elephant on her right shoulder and a donkey on the left.  Each declares his team is winning.  The Common Household Dad wanted her to plaster quotes from each side all over her costume, but she opted for simply writing "We refuse to negotiate" on the back of the poster board.



She went to a friend's neighborhood for trick-or-treating, since our neighborhood is kind of a dud for that activity.  Despite the evening's drenching rain, she came home with a pillowcase full of candy. Our first parental action was to try to see what candy we could earmark for ourselves.  She refused to let us look, instead plunking down about five mini-Twix on the table and saying in a commanding voice, "These are the candies I don't like.  You can have these.  Everything else in that bag is mine."  We tried to start an investigative panel, but she refused to negotiate.

Starting today, I am going to be home with this bag full of candy all day.  I am going to have to filibuster myself to keep away from it.  Somehow I think I am not going to be the winner in this standoff.  

6 comments:

Angie said...

Great costume! Yeah, I loved it when the kids got home with their loot. They were pretty good about sharing. I don't like Twix either. Kit Kats are my favorite.

Justine said...

Oh my goodness, this costume is so fabulous it buoys my hope for this generation of children. My world (of 5 year olds) was full of princesses, muscle men, and all the older girls seemed to be dressed like little girls. Disturbing doesn't quite cover it. My hat's off to you for producing a child capable of ideas like this costume! Did she have to explain it to any grown-ups? ;)

Justine said...

Sorry, I left a word off the end of that sentence about the older girls...dressed as little "slutty" girls. I restrained myself from wanting to ask "Are you supposed to be Lolita?"

Cassi said...

That's an excellent costume. This is not a place where my daughter's creativity is active. She went as a spy to a party, which involved jeans, her black boots, her black coat, and a couple of spy-ish things attached to her belt. Since she's known to carry those things around normally, I think she was just Emma for Halloween.

Anonymous said...

Clever.
I take a more stealth approach to getting their Halloween candy myself...

The Crislers said...

That is so clever! I hope people were able to read both front and back of costume. This seems like a costume a teacher would have, like "I'm making you think is all fun and games, but WHAM, you're actually learning, too!"