Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Yikes! L'Shanah Tova!


Rosh Hashanah snuck up behind me and bit me on the heel.  Two days ago, I suddenly realized that there would be a New Year coming mighty soon.  Yesterday I panicked about the most important thing regarding this Jewish holiday:  what to serve for dinner.

I took into account the following: My husband said he doesn’t have time for a fancy dinner this evening because he has to get to the synagogue early.  My mother-in-law is not here.  Two of the kids are off at college.  We don’t have enough people in the household to eat a brisket.  I didn’t have enough warning to invite people over. 

Therefore, for the first time in Jewish history, we are having leftovers for Erev Rosh Hashanah dinner.  That gives me one extra sin to ponder as the Day of Atonement approaches.

I did remember to dash to the liquor store and get some Manischewitz Concord Grape Wine, because what’s a Jewish holiday without Manischewitz?  I conveniently forgot to stock up on gefilte fish. At the farmer’s market this afternoon, I realized I should get a round bread – Youngest Daughter picked out a round garlic bread.  So it’s not a raisin challah – show me in the Bible where it says Moses had a raisin challah on Rosh Hashanah.  We have apples and honey – I’m pretty sure both of those are mentioned in the Bible.

Maybe I will invite Einstein to dinner.  He won’t mind leftovers.

Happy 5774, everyone!

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Moses totally had a raisin challah for Rosh Hashanah. But this particular Jew totally forgot tonight is the night! Tomorrow, then, apples and honey and challah - raisin challah, just like Moses...

Anonymous said...

I think there's a lot to recommend cultural evolution under different circumstances. Why bother with a full turkey dinner if only 3 people are at Thanksgiving?
Anyway, happy Rosh Hashanah to you!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I'm ready to believe that Moses had garlic bread but if SC says it was raisin challah, I bow to her superior knowledge.
I need more Jewish friends. I missed holiday entirely! (Hope it was a good one)

The Crislers said...

Happy/Merry Rosh Hashanah! My book club is currently reading "The Dovekeepers," historical fiction about Masada during the Roman siege. It's fascinating stuff, and I'm again reminded how little I know about anything Jewish.