Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

Today in the Common Household we celebrate our country’s independence.  Thank you, Founding Fathers, for, among other things, separation of state from religion.  And for freedom of religious practice.  In practice these two ideals sometimes conflict with each other, but I think they are some of the best stuff those Founding Guys thought up.  

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ...

First we celebrated our independence in a particularly suburban way:  by painting toxic substances on our deck.


It had been three years, and was high time.  Thank you, Mr. Wolman.  I put in one hour of painting on the ladder in exchange for a lesson on how to use the weed whacker.

I am happy to report that I have gained my weed whacking independence.  I now know where to find the weed whacker, how to set it up, and how to rethread the little blue plastic thread that serves to whack the weeds.

Here are a few helpful tips for all you Moms out there who have a penchant for whacking weeds.

1)  Wear protective gear.  Let me shout that again.  Wear protective eye gear, or you won’t be driving your kids to piano lesson ever again.   Wear long thick pants and strong ugly work shoes or you will have thousands of stings all over your legs from flying weeds.  Work gloves and a long sleeve shirt would also be a good idea.

2) Unplug the thing when you have to pull out the little blue sticky-outy thread, or you won’t be playing the piano ever again.

3)  That little blue plastic thread may look wimpy, but never was a little sticky-outy thing so powerful.  Keep fingers and toes away, Moms.

Happy Independence Day, Happy Weed Whacking, and Happy 100th Post on This Blog.

2 comments:

Alise said...

I'm impressed with your weed whacking abilities. I'm still afraid of that thing. Well, I'll do it if I have to, but yikes.

And I agree with you on the separation of church & state. It's good both ways. Very good.

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Wow. 100 posts. Does it tell you that somewhere? I don't know how many I have.