Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Einstein's Night Out


It’s been all busy all the time in the Common Household lately.  Birthdays, the college kid coming home, reacting to late corn planting stats, end-of-year concerts, extra transport to and from AP tests, and the like.  A lot of stuff is happening on the mother-in-law front, but I am not allowed to talk about it here.  I am also not allowed to talk about the holes that the plumber put in the living room ceiling.

Last night the Common Household Husband and I accompanied our son to the American Chemists Society award banquet.  As we were leaving the house, at the last minute I decided to put Einstein in my purse. Einstein has been staying at our house since the Science Bowl back in March, but since then, he hasn’t been out much.

As we were driving into town, my husband started humming “Strangers in the Night” in a particularly schmaltzy way. Son said, “Dad.  You’re not going to embarrass me at the banquet, are you?”

We got to the banquet, and I suddenly got really nervous about making small talk with chemists, despite the fact that I make dinner conversation with scientists nearly every day.  I embarrassed myself by bumping the table and spilling everyone’s water, by dribbling food on my lap (because I couldn’t get close enough to the table without bumping it), and doing other inept things. 

We finished dinner and it was time for awards for aspiring chemists in middle school and high school, and accomplished chemists who had been members of the ACS for 50+ years.  Lots of clapping, but no undignified hooting and hollering.   Then the formal part of the event was over.  Time for Einstein to party!  I freed Einstein from my purse, and started taking lots of photos of him, until Son said, “Mom!  You’re embarrassing me!”    Yes, and it won’t be the last time I do that, either.

I think Einstein had a good time.

Einstein approves of the banquet program.

Einstein in the official photograph corner.  Nice logos, eh?

Every scientist should have Einstein in his or her pocket.

4 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Heh heh heh... love your Einstein!

Sharing your relief over the end of AP testing (although the SAT is looming here) and the fun of embarrassing teens.

"the holes that the plumber put in the living room ceiling." ... oh my goodness, that is a story that needs telling!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your Einstein--and I'm sending good vibes for the untold stories because it sounds like things are icky on a couple fronts there.

Liz in Virginia said...

Looks like Einstein Had a swell time!

And embarrassing teenagers is one of the components of a parent's salary and benefits package. It's right there in our contract.

The Crislers said...

I love the thought of you holding up that little bobble-head Einstein and snapping photos all over the place. Made me laugh.