Friday, August 31, 2012

Soup recipe


This happened when Youngest Daughter was in first grade.  I referenced it in my bat mitzvah speech, and afterwards had many requests for the recipe.  So here it is.

Written to my extended family on May 18, 2006

I get lots of papers home from school requesting me to do various things - approve the field trip, send in flowers for the teachers, make a meal for the teachers, etc.  A few weeks ago, a request came home from Youngest Daughter's teacher to please send in my two favorite recipes, one appetizer and one dessert.  I tossed the paper, deciding that I did not have time to send recipes in to school.

On Mother's Day, Youngest Daughter gave me lots of gifts, all made at school. (Making Mothers' Day gifts has been deemed an educational activity.  But not making Father's Day gifts.)  One of them was a wonderful recipe book, containing favorite recipes, submitted by all the Moms of first graders.  I leafed through it, finding recipes for Crab Loaf Dip, Cheese Fondue, Stuffed Mushrooms, and the like.  I knew that there would no recipe under my name.  But much to my surprise, I found my name on the following, written in Youngest Daughter's printing:

    Elephant Soup
1 cup Elephant meat
1/2 cup carrots
4 eggs
Elephant mix
3 Elephant toenails
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup marshmellows
1/3 cup brocili

Back in the "Desserts" section, I found:
    Apple Cake
1 1/2 cup water
1 c. aeg
3 eggs
1 T Youngest Daughter

This was also submitted under my name.  So I think it will be a long time before I live down my reputation among the Moms of first-graders!





1 comment:

Cassi said...

That is most wonderful. First, that your daughter came up with those, and second, that all the other moms got to see "your" submitted recipes!

What an imagination that child has :-)