Thursday, November 17, 2011

Rub-a-Dub-Dub, Thanks for the Grub

At a church retreat I went to this fall, we had this question during an ice-breaker:  What is your favorite holiday?  In my group, all ten of us said Thanksgiving was our favorite.  That might simply mean that all ten of us have tolerable family members who won’t cause trouble at a big family gathering.

For me the best thing about Thanksgiving is giving thanks to God for the gathering of the family, for bringing us to this season, and, yes, for the delicious traditional food. 

Which brings me to my Thanksgiving survey.  If someone asks what we are truly thankful for, we often will say family and friends, as those are the most precious to us.  Nobody ever says “indoor plumbing” or “the library,” but I think we have to recognize that we are thankful for those things, too.

This survey is focused on and limited to Thanksgiving food.  Because I am an American.  Here is my question, which I also posed to my prospective Thanksgiving dinner guests:

Thanksgiving survey
Please complete the following sentence with a food item.  One entry per person. 
It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving dinner without _______________________.

Please answer in the comments.  If you want a bigger platform than this humble household blog gives you, you can go to CNN’s site.

Reading glasses... what every Thanksgiving table needs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without lots of dishes to wash....(sigh)

Angie said...

Pumpkin pie. I don't really like it much. But I always eat just one bite. Because it's Thanksgiving.

Bridget said...

Stuffing. When I was a little girl, I used to sit on the kitchen table and help my mom tear up all of the bread for the stuffing. Now my daughter helps me.

Common Household Mom said...

Angie, maybe you should have a different kind of pie! But I love pumpkin pie. And stuffing. Bridget, you make stuffing the Real way. Maybe I should come over and learn how you make it.

Anonymous said...

Sweet potatoes!
I'm with you on this holiday--it's a great day without obligation, just an attitude of gratitude.

Cassi said...

Definitely stuffing for me --it is the only time of the year I ever make it, the version I make is rich and unhealthy, and I love it.

Thanksgiving has become a holiday of friends rather than family for me --my best friend and her husband moved up to La Crosse many years ago now, and we made this our holiday. We take turns hosting each other, sometimes including other friends as well. Family is just too far away for a holiday that is only a weekend long :-)

michiganme said...

It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without homemade cranberry relish!

Joanie said...

Carrot casserole, which has been a Thanksgiving staple in our family for many years! Thanks for the opportunity, Carolyn! Love your "interactive" blog!