Saturday, May 30, 2015

Secondhand Lions

The latest addition to the Common Household are these two felines, who now reside right outside our front door.  
Lions guarding the front door


They make excellent pets, since they stay outside all the time, even though they were not originally designed to be outside.  They are shedding gold paint.  Sooner or later they will be naked secondhand lions.


I am told that when they were firsthand lions, they guarded the synagogue ark where the Torah was kept.  (If you google “synagogue lions” you can see oodles of images.) Then the synagogue moved to a new building, with a new ark, and these lions were no longer used.  My husband found them in a closet at the synagogue.  He broke the tenth commandment, and coveted the synagogue’s lions, except maybe it doesn’t count as coveting since the synagogue didn’t want the lions any more.





Sometimes our lions like to party.  I mean, if you acquired lions like this, wouldn’t you want them to party?

So far we have gotten no comments from any of the neighbors.  I have hesitated to ask any of them what they think.


I just want to add that I don’t have many favorite movies, but Secondhand Lions is one of them.  In fact, maybe “Uncle Hub” and “Uncle Garth” would be good names for our lions.
Jewish lions on Memorial Day

4 comments:

smalltownme said...

Hello to Hub and Garth, they are a wonderful addition to your entry.

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest entry decoration EVAH.
And decorated seasonally to boot!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I love them already! Such fun uncles to have at your house, and I see they have good tastes in partying style.
My husband once claimed he wanted a lion statue, but he was going to reconfigure one of the paws to be "giving the finger" to those who looked his way.

The Crislers said...

Now *I'm* coveting your gold lions. And I'm curious: Did you and Husband have one thousand arguments about which ones should stand on which side of the door; as in, paw pointing in, or out, or did you come to immediate agreement? Because that is the kind of thing that would have sparked heavy debate in our household.