Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Icicles We Have Known and Loved

Left ice, left ice,
Right ice, right.
Icicles in the morning,
Icicles at night.
How many, many icicles in sight.



Victorian witch-hand icicle scene.


The same icicle, taken with the flash.
Now you can see all the cute baby icicles.




Icicles to right of them,
Icicles to left of them,
Icicles in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd...


This icicle was attached to a huge sheet of ice pasted to the
 front of the house.  Yesterday the whole thing crashed to the
ground and made a spectacular noise. No one was injured.
That's because people have given up going outside.

This poor bush. 

All the icicles have melted and are gone, but before they departed, they caused a scene inside our basement.  If I can ever get out of this Land of Winter Doldrums And Laziness I am stuck in, I will tell you about it. Until then, you can imagine an icicle party, with drinking and loud noises.  That would be appropriate, because it's Purim!

8 comments:

Angie said...

Hang in there! Spring is coming!

Cassi said...

I can only wish we had icicles. It's been so consistently cold here, nothing has melted in months.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Wow. Just... wow.

smalltownme said...

the hand! It scares me.

Anonymous said...

freaky and wonderful!

The Crislers said...

I LOVE the Victorian witch hand icicle! And is it just me, or is "icicle" one of those freaky words in English that make no sense whatsoever? The spelling is all wrong! I always want to pronounce it "ick-ick-ull" when I read it.

Bob Scotney said...

The witch hand looks quite eerie.
I'm going to add an explanation of the formation of ice spikes to my blog.

carmilevy said...

Nature is an amazing sculptor, isn't she? I'm so glad you took the time to grab these before they disappeared.