We’ve finished with the “Light Explosive and Incendiary Devices” holiday. That’s good.
We had a legal (and therefore tame) display in the yard last night. The biting insects had a more exciting time eating our ankles than we did looking at ‘fireworks’.
|Fireworks in PA: Safe, legal and rare. Not to mention lame.|
|Emergency water bucket|
Today I’ll be driving my niece to Girl Scout camp. Yesterday I drove several hours on the PA Turnpike (a hellish road) to make this happen. But that’s okay. I received some unbelievable benefits from this arrangement. Here are the thank-you gifts my brother gave me for transportation of his child.
1) Humongous lunch for the Common Household Son. We met at Perkins Restaurant. My brother and I each had a small bowl of soup and a half-sandwich. My son (who came to help with the driving and to provide music from his iPod) had “Take Twelve”: 3 eggs, 4 pancakes, 3 sausages, 2 hash browns. Or something like that. It was two large plates heaped with food, and he ate all of it. This was a gift to me because it reduced my grocery budget a tiny amount.
2) Fresh Maryland corn. Eight ears of heavenly delight.
|Oh, baby. This stuff is good.|
3) Peaches and Black Raspberries. I doubt they are from Maryland (it seems too early, especially this year) but they are deeee-licious.
|A good peach is hard to find. My brother found|
some, and then gave them to me.
In the category of good things in the yard:
1) At Easter, we received one pansy at my brother’s church. It languished in a plastic cup for about two weeks before we put it in the ground outside. Despite that shabby treatment, it is the prize-winner in this year’s garden, doing the best of all our annuals.
|Valiant pansy plant (night photo).|
2) My balloon flower plant has loads of blooms! One plant was chomped by attack rabbits (or evil deer), but this one is doing well.
|Courageous balloon flower plant (night photo).|
3) Fireflies. They've been beautiful and plentiful lately.
|Brilliant photo of fireflies (night photo).|
Trust me, there were lots of fireflies.
What's good stuff where you are?