Friday, August 26, 2011

Momentous Event

Yesterday my brain didn’t seem to work.  I couldn't do my work project, couldn't concentrate enough to read a book, couldn't get up the energy to make dinner.  I suspect it was a reaction to Wednesday’s momentous event.  No, not the earthquake – that was Tuesday, and besides, that was pretty much a non-event here. 

On Wednesday, for the first time, part of our Common Household moved out.  She moved to college, taking a part of our hearts with her.  My nephew and niece also start college this week.  I feel these three young people are shining stars in the universe, full of light and promise.  We are sad to have them leave home, but joyful that they have reached this stage of their lives.  

While I am recovering from this event, I leave you with these statements made by Oldest Daughter in the past, with the goal of perhaps shedding light on her upbringing and her deep-seated feelings about her parents.

Oldest Daughter at 4 years old
“When I get to be 7 years old and the same age as my older cousin, I can do anything I want.”

   * * *

“When I’m grown up, I don’t have to do anything you say, and when I’m 49 I can sleep outside and eat lollipops!”


7 years old
“Moms and Dads are for taking care of children and being nice and giving privileges and stuff.”


   * * *


“If I were President the first three things I would do is:  First I would get new parents.  Then I would make more medicine.  Then, anyone who litters gets thrown in jail.  And if you smoke for 2 weeks, I would throw you in jail.”



13 years old
“Mothers are like cats.  They have pointed ears and yellow eyes.”


   * * *


“Dad, you seriously need to spend some time stranded on a desert island.”



14 years old
On our hike in the local park:  “Mom and Dad want to go home, and they are the ruling power.” 

   * * *


Oldest Daughter was putting the wooden tongs in the dishwasher.  I said, “Won’t the dishwasher ruin the wooden handles?”  She said, “Well, they’re not my handles.”  Her Dad said, “Spoken like a true volunteer.”  She said, “I’m not a volunteer.”


   * * *


“Dad, you have a brain like a dolphin.”


   * * *


My husband tries to recite poetry: 
“O Captain, My Captain,
What happened to you?
Why are you lying there
In a big pile of goo?”
I responded, “It’s a good thing that you aren’t in charge of writing our national poetry.”
Oldest Daughter said,  “If Dad were in charge of our national poetry, our nation would be a lot more funny.”



16 years old
“Dad, you are 49 years old.  Keep your fingers away from jewelry!”


        * * *


During an Ice Storm
Dad:  "You could go out and shovel the walk."
Oldest Daughter:  "I can’t shovel the walk!  I’m baking a cake!"



   * * *


To whoever was in the room (including me):  “You all just need to be a little less stupid.”



17 years old
Oldest Daughter’s explanation of menopause to her brother:  “It’s when a girl becomes all crazy.  Like Mom gets crazy, only Mom is already crazy so it’s hard to tell.  And then they get all baggy and wrinkly.”


   * * *

I picked Oldest Daughter up at school. She said to me, “Greetings, O stolid-faced one.”

* * * * * * * * *


So, crazy and stolid-faced, but with a tear running down my cheek, I move into a new era.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Looks like a standard issue dorm room. But I'm sure she and her roommate will make it their own. I'm excited for her.

Joanie said...

Yeah, I can see how your heart is breaking to see her leave. Especially after that heartfelt description of menopause.

Cassi said...

These are some of the reasons that kids really have to leave our house after a while :-)

My daughter is now repeating the menopause phrase.

Maria Sondule said...

I have no recollection of saying any of these things. Especially the menopause one.