Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Little Challah That Could




It is well known that in the Common Household family extension on the Jewish side, size matters.

(For proof, please see my previous posts Do Your Balls Measure Up?  and Size of Balls Does Matter.)

On Sunday a week ago, a group of three women, including me, spent four hours braiding and baking 24 mini-challahs, to have on hand for Shabbat services and shiva minyans when needed. 

Since you’re asking, each mini-challah was approximately ten inches long, with a diameter of about three inches.  A normal-sized challah is maybe four times larger.

I was able to bring one challah home for the Common Household to enjoy.  When my husband saw it, he said, “Oh, what a cute little challah…. Wait, you spent FOUR HOURS making that tiny challah?  If I had know you were going to make a challah the size of a toothpick, I would have bought more bread at the store this morning.”

Some of our challah loaves seemed to come out of the oven with personalities.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
This one is called Moses, because it has horns.
(Biblical scholars will know that this
is based on a  mistranslation, but once
people get an image in their heads it
just won't go away.)


Papoose


Already, the rabbi has taken one of our challahs to someone who just returned home from the hospital.  Last week I felt that my heart had shrunk to the size of a shriveled pea, but knowing that our little challah has welcomed someone home has made my heart just a little bit larger.


The recipe for challah is here, at the end of the post.

Mathematically-minded readers will notice that there are
 only 23 challah loaves here.  We had
 to test the product, of course.

5 comments:

Angie said...

This bread looks delicious! Would it be kosher to do Communion with a loaf of challah sometime?

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

It turns out that chicken soup make with matzoh balls is not the only thing that can cure a person!

I, too, am curious if it would be acceptable to use a loaf of challah at Communion.

Patience_Crabstick said...

I love Challah! I only make it once in a while as a special treat. I use Mollie Katzen's recipe from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Yours look delicious.

Anonymous said...

I only ate Challah twice in my life, but recall it with drooling mouth. Yum!

The Crislers said...

Those are so pretty! I have never ever had challah. Do you cheat and use Rhodes rolls as a base (the way I do with most of my bread recipes), or would that be considered sacrilegious? However you go about it, I am impressed.