Saturday, October 10, 2015

Travel Tips

Hibiscus, like the Dear Old Folks, still blooming despite
the onset of autumn.

This past weekend I went to the Old Folks’ Home.  I guess I am not supposed to call it that, but dammit, that’s what it is.  There are many pleasant things about this Old Folks’ Home, but parts of the visit are always difficult, and those are the parts I can’t tell you about. 

Here are some tips that I find helpful on any trip, but especially this one.


- Pack a survival kit

The essentials for this trip: alcohol and chocolate in
several different formats. Benadryl in case I have
to spend too much time in places I'm allergic to.


- Exercise your ability to set boundaries.

One of the great challenges of life is to remain compassionate
while also setting appropriate limits.


- Pray that you will be able to see the larger picture.  

Seeing the larger scene requires stepping back.



- If possible, bring pleasant, low-maintenance traveling companions.

Einstein brought a female traveling companion!  
Lady Liberty fights her way through the underbrush.

Einstein among the fallen.

- Don’t eat any poison berries.

Don't swallow what isn't good for you.


- Enjoy life’s colors wherever you see them.






- Look up sometimes.

In Maryland the trees were *just* starting to turn.


- Appreciate the trip home.
Oh, Pennsylvania, with your claim to the largest full-time
 legislature and yet no state budget for 100+ days,  with
your antiquated liquor laws, despite all your flaws,
my heart swells with love for you!
You are beautiful in your autumn glory.

This is what the road home looks like.  The PA Turnpike.

7 comments:

Cassi said...

This is very good advice --especially that travel kit, and the part about boundaries :-) I was going to make a very similar trip this weekend, but now I have Emma's cold, so it will probably be a couple more weekends before I go. Can't bring germs to the Old Folks Home.

smalltownme said...

We make a trip every weekend. Only 30 miles each way, through our drought stricken landscape. A batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies are now a necessity. She discusses the cookies with caregivers all week beforehand. We tried knitting projects, but cookies are so much better.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

This is excellent advice. I have a friend who very much could have used this recently, and as I am headed to such a place in less than 2 weeks, I shall take your wisdom to heart.

Suburban Correspondent said...

That is hard. And it makes me feel bad for my kids, knowing that they might have to deal with the same thing some day.

Anonymous said...

Your advice is so good. And beautifully illustrated with your photography!

Angie said...

I miss the fall foliage.

The Crislers said...

This is so widely applicable. I feel like I should print this out for use and reminders anytime I'm going into a situation where I will need healthy boundaries and perspective and all. So... every time I leave the house, then?