Tuesday, September 27, 2011

An alarming trend in marketing

America does not need to go in this direction.  Cover up, America; we don’t want to see it.


Back in May, my husband was thrilled to find these pita chips in the store, and insisted on buying them.  I have to admit that they are better than the other, cheaper brand of pita chip.  I don’t know if this is because they are unclothed.

A few weeks after we found the unclothed pita chips, a friend came over (this was when the basement steps AND the deck were still intact). She brought with her some unclothed orange mango juice.  I was very intrigued, but didn’t want to freak my friend out by taking a photo of her drink.  So I went and bought some of my own.

In preparation for this post, I googled “naked food products”.  Once I got over my fear of clicking on the results, of which there were only 21 million, I found a gold mine of naked food: granola, confectionary sauces, chicken nuggets, soup, and even an entire grocery store somewhere in Chicago.

There is unclothed pizza, which purports to be made of 10 whole grains, agave fiber and probiotics.  Despite its nakedness, I don’t think I would be able to get my teenage son to eat such pizza.  It sounds more like a biology textbook than food.

I also came across something called “Magic Healing Cupcakes.”  Their main ingredient is chocolate.  Now we’re talking.  

4 comments:

Marcie said...

I've noticed that "fewer clothes" the food has, the more money it costs!

Angie said...

Is this similar to the new trend of "raw" foods. Like, in the raw, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Heh--stripped down food. I kind of like it. "Naked" does sound sexier...

Cassi said...

Sounds like another unregulated marketing term. Like "natural", which has no designated meaning, so processed food makers can use it on anything. Emma and I will sometimes go through the stores pointing out the incredibly processed "natural" foods :-)

And BTW, that doesn't mean we don't buy/eat any of them. We just like to know when we're eating junk.