Wednesday, September 30, 2026

First Lines: September 2026 edition

Stacks and stacks of music books


Below are the first lines of the seven books I finished reading in September – mostly short, and one longish. 



Book 1

One: What Happened to Kinnick

A prim girl stood still as a fencepost on Rhys Kinnick’s front porch.  Next to her, a cowlicked boy shifted his weight from snow boot to snow boot.


 

Book 2

It may happen in my grandchildren’s lifetimes, or those of their grandchildren, that mankind will learn the secrets of time-travel and Doctor Who’s TARDIS becomes a reality.  

 

The TARDIS becomes a reality in gingerbread.  2014.

 

Book 3

Two sisters lived alone in a hideous, drafty old house on the edge of town. 

 

 

Book 4

“A Contagious Living Fluid”: 

Tobacco Mosaic Virus and the Discovery of the Virosphere


Fifty miles southeast of the Mexican city of Chihuahua is a dry, bare mountain range called Sierra de Naica.


 

Book 5

When the train stopped I stumbled out, nudging and kicking the kitbag before me. 


 

Book 6

Chapter 1: Nabeyaki-Udon

Walking away from Higashi Honganji temple, Hideji Kuboyama instinctively turned up the collar on his trench coat.

 


Book 7

“What’s two plus two?”

Something about the question irritates me.  I’m tired.  I drift back to sleep.


 

The titles and authors revealed:

 

 

Book 1

So Far Gone

Jess Walter

257 pages • first pub 2025

fiction literary


A fast read about division and trauma due to radicalism and loneliness causing a split in a troubled family.   The characters were appealing, but the cause for the descent into radicalism was only touched on briefly, and I felt it could have used more attention.  I liked the way the book was structured.  At times terrifying, at times quite amusing.  Content warning: contains violence, including murder.  


I tried to read another book by this author, Cold Millions, but it was a DNF for me.  Can’t remember why.

 

 

Book 2

How to Survive in Medieval England

Toni Mount

176 pages • first pub 2021  

Nonfiction


Compared to Medieval England, we are pretty much better off.  I was mostly interested in the parts about health and women.  The book is written in an accessible, conversational manner.

 

 

Book 3

Bog Myrtle

Sid Sharp

142 pages • first pub 2024

Children’s picture book.


A story of labor solidarity.  Content warning: spiders, and a mean capitalist sister.  


 

This is a very different children's book featuring a spider.

Book 4

A Planet of Viruses (Third Edition)

Carl Zimmer

159 pages • first pub 2011; the third edition which I read was published in 2021, after the start of the covid-19 pandemic.

nonfiction health science


A good overview of viruses for non-scientists.  Big take-away:  viruses are everywhere and numerous.  Scientists go to the ends of the earth, and find viruses there.  


This was one of the books that I allowed myself to buy for my Kindle (it was on sale) before our vacation.  It was a wise choice, though, that I did not read this while on that trip.  While it’s fascinating, and I’m probably better off knowing a little more about viruses than I did, it would have disturbed our mostly idyllic travel.


 

Book 5

A Month in the Country

J.L. Carr

135 pages • first pub 1980

fiction classics historical literary


Second reading of this lovely novella, for book club at the end of September. Highly recommend.

  

 

Book 6

The Kamogawa Food Detectives

The Kamogawa Food Detectives #1

Hisashi Kashiwai with Jesse Kirkwood (Translator)

201 pages • first pub 2013


This book is for connoisseurs of Japanese cuisine, or for those who just want to not think about current events.  The descriptions of food might have been mouthwatering if I had known what the food was.  The book is really just a series of short stories, with each chapter essentially the same: a client asks the food detectives (a father-daughter team who also run a restaurant) to recreate a dish that the client is nostalgic for, for reasons.  The detectives succeed.  The phrase “sourced from” is used repeatedly.



When I searched my photo library for "Japanese food"
this was one of the results.  I have no idea what it is.



Book 7

Project Hail Mary

By Andy Weir

476 pages • first pub 2021 

science fiction 


Projected time to read: 10 hours. Took me longer.

Storygraph description: adventurous funny hopeful medium-paced

Has drawings of rockets in the ‘foreword’ space.


It was okay.  I liked the ending.  I liked that it ended.  I liked the two main characters.  I had to quickly skim the final 20% and then slowed down for the final chapter, rather like a spaceship approaching the home planet.  To me the book does not merit the 4.5 to 4.7 star ratings.  I read it for book club, and it might be that the discussion will help me like the book more.  I haven't seen the movie, and am not likely to see it.



Space travel, Catan style.


No comments: