Sunday, November 3, 2019

First lines: September and October 2019 edition



In September I finished four books.  In October I only managed to finish two books, and one was a slim volume of poetry.  There was just too much else to read, too much in the news cycle to try to comprehend.  And a fair amount of canvassing and time spent managing some aspects of the life of elderly relatives.

At the synagogue, we recently finished this book, collectively: 
This photo only shows half of the torah scroll.
This is the tradition on Simchat Torah.  First we dance around joyously with the Torah scrolls (in their covers).  Then one of the Torah scrolls is unrolled all the way.  It goes across the entire sanctuary, and requires the participation of lots of people to hold it.  Then Rabbi reads the end of Deuteronomy, runs across the sanctuary to Genesis, and reads the beginning of the Torah.  Then he rolls it up so that it is set at the beginning again.   This process is joyful, but it also gives me an appreciation for the invention of the book (with pages) as opposed to a scroll.  

The first lines are 

When God began to create heaven and earth — the earth being unformed and void, with darkness over the surface of the deep and a wind from God sweeping over the water — God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

Rabbi said that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth..." is not a good translation.   The translation he prefers gives more of a feeling of continuity.



Here are the first lines of the books I finished in Sep and Oct, followed by the titles.







Book 1
The cross and the lynching tree are separated by nearly 2,000 years. One is the universal symbol of Christian faith; the other is the quintessential symbol of black oppression in America.


Book 2
Big Moccasin Gap
Gate City is more than four hundred miles from Arlington, down the long spine of mountains that marks Virginia’s western border. 


Book 3
I saw you once.  I saw you and you noticed me because you caught me looking at you, seeing you.  Back and forth, back and forth.  Good-looking women do that.  Lock eyes, then look one another up and down.


Book 4
My mother and I drove east across the flatlands, along the vast floor of an ancient sea. We had come to West Texas to spend Thanksgiving in the national park where my mother worked as a ranger during the years when I formed my first childhood memories—images of wooded canyons and stone mountains rising up from the earth, the sound of wind whipping across low desert hills, the warmth of the sun beating down upon endless scrublands.


Book 5 – full disclosure – did not finish this one
Chapter 1: Jojo
I like to think I know what death is. I like to think that it’s something I could look at straight.


Book 6
Ove is fifty-nine.
He drives a Saab.  He’s the kind of man who points at people he doesn’t like the look of, as if they were burglars and his forefinger a policeman’s flashlight. 


Book 7
To the Fig Tree on 9th and Christian

Tumbling through the
city in my
mind without once
looking up
the racket in
the lugwork probably
rehearsing some
stupid thing I
said or did
some crime or
other the city they
say is a lonely
place until yes
the sound of sweeping
and a woman
yes with a
broom beneath
which you are now
too the canopy
of a fig its
arms pulling the
September sun to it





The titles and authors revealed:




Book 1
The Cross and the Lynching Tree, by James Cone. 
Theology.

Excerpts:
Until we can see the cross and the lynching tree together, until we can identify Christ with a “recrucified” black body hanging from a lynching tree, there can be no genuine understanding of Christian identity in America, and no deliverance from the brutal legacy of slavery and white supremacy.

What I studied in graduate school ignored white supremacy and black resistance against it, as if they had nothing to do with the Christian gospel and the discipline of theology. Silence on both white supremacy and the black struggle against racial segregation made me angry with a fiery rage that had to find expression. How could any theologian explain the meaning of Christian identity in America and fail to engage white supremacy, its primary negation?


Book 2
Born Fighting by Jim Webb. 
History of/apologetics for “Scots-Irish culture” in the United States.  Good writing; disagree completely with the thesis.  

I have to stop here and say that I was reading these two books (Born Fighting and The Cross and the Lynching Tree) at the same time, which was a great way to produce intellectual whiplash.  I hope to find time to tell you more about these books.  But there is an election in two days, and there’s too much to do.


Book 3
Lady in the Lake, by Laura Lippman.  © 2019. 
I did not like any of the characters.  Certainly did not like the main character, Maddie Schwartz – she was shallow and self-serving.  But the writing was good and after about 100 pages I settled in to enjoy the narrative style which alternated between 3rd person omniscient, and then first-person as told by a minor character in the preceding chapter.  The book takes place in Baltimore in 1966.  Ironically, the residential street I grew up on is mentioned!


Book 4
The Line Becomes a River, by Francisco Cantu.  © 2018. 
The author served as a border guard from 2008 to 2012.  He left that job to get an advanced degree.  This book gave me a lot to think about.  I recommend it.


Book 5
Sing, Unburied, Sing, by Jesmyn Ward.  © 2017.   Excellent writing, but I could not finish.  


Book 6
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, translated by Henning Koch.  © 2014.   Funny and poignant.  We read it for book club.


Book 7
catalog of unabashed gratitude by Ross Gay.  © 2015 (University of Pittsburgh Press).  Poetry. 
This poet does not much believe in the period.  Each poem is pretty much one long run-on sentence, and this style propels the reader through each poem like the Niagara River rushing to its destiny at the falls.  That’s not necessarily bad, for poetry, but at first it was shocking to me.   It was nearly impossible to find a stopping place for my quote of the “first lines” above.

I do not claim to understand each poem, but I read this more as I read the book of Revelation (the Bible).  The reading technique is to just read the words and soak in the images and feelings.  Ross Gay’s poems in this volume include a lot of fruit and sweetness, and above all else, motion.

3 comments:

Bibliomama said...

I love Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan series and Every Secret Thing and To the Power of Three. I just read another book of hers which I liked a bit less than those. I thought Sing Unburied Sing was amazing, but I can definitely see why someone might not finish it. I have Ove on my bedside table. And I have enough trouble reading poetry in that I go too fast as it is, so lack of periods would drive me crazy, I think.

melissa said...

Okay, totally cool to find your street in a story like that. I love how Lippman gets into point of view so beautifully. And Ove is still one of my favorite books of the last 5 years--easy to recommend. Poetry is best taken in small doses, as I tell my students, it's very concentrated so one must taste it and think on it.
I have had the same thoughts about Christians and white supremacy, you articulate the rage much better than I do, though. If one has read any part of the bible, the evangelical hypocrisy is evident.
And speaking of bible reading (I am practically writing a post in response to your post--but you do cause me to think so much!)--that is a beautiful beginning in your tradition of Genesis. I much prefer it to the one I've read. And can you believe I literally just taught that very verse (the poorer version) and the lesson of Genesis 1 to preschoolers over the past 2 weeks? Our lives run parallel in a lot of ways, friend.
That image you've placed in my mind of that scroll and the flung out celebration of God's word in such a way...very cool.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Catching up, because I've been using my phone which is terrible for blogs (reading and commenting)...
First, I love the physicality of the ceremony with the Torah; I also like the rabbi's wording for the beginning of Genesis.
I've read and liked A Man Called Ove, and books 4, 5, and 7 have my interest. The first book sounds like an excellent read although perhaps rather scholarly(?). My husband and I are still reeling from visiting multiple Civil Rights museums in Alabama two months ago -- for him, it was like drinking from a fire hose; for me, it was not quite THAT overwhelming but it was still overwhelming. The Lynching Memorial in Montgomery, AL, is powerful.