Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Physics lesson



Welcome to my TED Talk.

Force equals mass times acceleration.

Wear your seatbelt.

Every object in a state of uniform motion will remain in that state of motion unless an external force acts on it.

Do not text while driving.  Just don’t.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Leave a good distance between your car and the vehicle in front of you.

Newton’s Laws of Motion are true and cannot be repealed.

Do not, do not, do not drive while under the influence of a mind-altering substance.  Whether that’s alcohol, pot, antihistamine, opioids, or your mother-in-law’s comments, just don’t.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

* * * * * * * *


Please do not tell my mother about this.  I will tell her at the right time.

On an average day in the US, there are about 18,000 car crashes.  On Monday, I was in one of them.  On an average day in the US, there are about 90 fatal car crashes.  On Monday, I was not one of them. I walked away without a scratch.  Just achy, and very, very grateful.

The force with which the car hit me (from behind) felt stunning and sudden.  But the airbag did not deploy, so maybe it was not that large a force, in the grand scheme of Newton’s Physics Rules.  It felt pretty damn forceful, and it pushed my car into the opposing lane of traffic.  That lane was empty, so I did not get hit twice.  The other driver was not hurt physically, at least as far as I saw.
One of the few photos I have of my car intact.
Mine is the maroon car, third from the front.


One more photo, from back in February, moving
my son back home.  This is such a great car for me.

I do not think that God intended for this crash to happen, nor do I think that a car crash is a good thing.  But I do see some of the hand of God in this:  the hand of God that created the human ingenuity and the political will to invent and implement: 
·      seat belts
·      car bumpers
·      headrests/whiplash preventers
·      fire departments with large brooms to sweep up glass and metal shards
·      taxpayers who pay local taxes to support a trained Emergency Medical Team, trained police force, and trained fire department, with adequate equipment to handle car crashes
·      technology to make 911 calls possible
·      a church full of people to pray for me and the other driver
·      a gas tank that does not automatically explode on impact
·      windows, through which an observer in the nearby school could see the whole thing happen and who then came to me before any emergency officials arrived, to check on me and give me a hug, and waited around to give a statement to police.

 
Thoroughly smashed up. 
* * * * * * * *


A few other observations

O Best Beloved, do not become too fond of thy car.  You never know when someone will smash it to smithereens. 

After the crash, I could not stop shaking.  My husband told me afterwards that the shaking was probably an element of being in shock. 

I found out that the fire department was not particularly necessary for this incident, but the fire station was in a training period.  So this car crash was used for practice.  You done good, fire fighters!   Never have the shards from a car crash been swept up more quickly and thoroughly.

A friend tells me that air bags do not usually deploy in a rear-end collision.  Which makes that seat belt even more important.  Please refer to my TED Talk above.

It still looks pretty good from the front.

But it's all jumbled up in the back.




9 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Oh, dear Carolyn! I am so very sorry! And also relieved that your physics lesson did not involve the front end of your car, or the driver's side, or hospitalization or death. Whew!

Joanne said...

Sorry you had such a scary experience! Glad to hear you're OK.

Kathy Miller said...

I am so glad you are okay. Thank you for sharing this lesson. We should all be super careful and ALWAYS buckle up.

Paul H said...

Sorry to hear about this and glad that you’re OK. All of your physics rules and other observations are spot on!

Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness, this sounds so scary! I am so glad you are okay, but YIKES. What a frightening experience. I love how you are able to find so much good in such an upsetting event.

Louise Lozer said...

I did hear about your accident from Carol Limmer. Glad you had your seat belt on and are safe and sound. Thank the Lord!

Ernie said...

Oh wow! Car accidents are so scary. Glad you were not hurt. As a mother of teen drivers, I always cringe when they call me shortly after leaving the house fearing they have been in an accident. Is your car fixable?

Anonymous said...

I am GLAD you are okay. Probably REALLY shook up, though! Is this a fix-it or replace it kind of damage?
I won't tell your mom, but gosh, that looks like it was a nasty hit.

Aileen said...

Oh my goodness! How frightening. I'm glad you are not injured, but even so, car accidents are very upsetting. I hope you have time to luxuriate in some self care.
-Aileen (aka Patience Crabstick)