Thursday, May 17, 2018

First Lines: April 2018 edition



My reading in April consisted of starting a whole bunch of books, and actually finishing four of them. 

In other parts of the world there has been no end of calamity: trees falling on cars, six straight days of rain in Washington, DC (is God trying to powerwash the deck there?), Hawaii exploding, Kenya cracking open, not to mention the Middle East, where we are headed in less than a week.  One must try to either learn more or to address the angst.  These four books were my attempt at that.  Here are the first lines.

Book 1
For as long as I can remember, I remember fear.  Existential fear.  The Israel I grew up in – the Israel of the 1960s – was energetic, exuberant, and hopeful.  But I always felt that beyond the well-to-do houses and upper-middle-class lawns of my hometown lay a dark ocean.  One day, I dreaded, that dark ocean would rise and drown us all.

Book 2
Chapter 1: The Saint in Pointy-Toed Shoes
At nearly eight o’clock in the evening on my fifth Friday in France, I dragged my hungry, tired family into a pharmacie downtown.  “It’ll only take a second,” I promised.

Book 3
One: Everywhere and Nowhere
When I start writing, I inevitably feel myself swallowed by fear.

Book 4
Ber. Who’s there?
Fran. Nay, answer me:  stand, and unfold yourself.
Ber. Long live the king!


* * * * * *

Titles and authors revealed:

Book 1
My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel, by Ari Shavit, © 2013. 
Reading in preparation for our trip to Israel in late May.   My brief conclusion after reading this book is that both Israel and the US have a national history marked by a striving for high-minded notions of freedom and equality, combined with a constant thread of oppression and violence.  Probably the same as any nation’s history, really. 

Book 2
The Holy Éclair: Signs and Wonders from an Accidental Pilgrimage, by Rebecca S. Ramsey, © 2017.  
Signed by the author!  I received this book in a blog raffle (thanks to published author Melissa Westemeier!).  I enjoyed reading it slowly, one chapter every few days, as a devotional.  The author is a beleaguered mom who moves to France because of her husband’s job, and finds herself in a spiritual slump.  In each chapter she seeks to find evidence of God in the ordinary extraordinariness of her daily life in France.  Includes frequent visits to the local marché, cafés, and boulangeries.  Delightful and calming.

Book 3
Braving the Wilderness: the Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone, by Brene Brown,  © 2017. 
One must go through the wilderness in order to belong to oneself.

Book 4
Hamlet, by William Shakespeare, 1599.   
I’m counting this even though, strictly speaking, I didn’t finish reading it.  This was our book club assignment for March.  Younger Daughter and I read it out loud at home – a blast! – and got through Act 3.  Then the book club (plus spouses and a bona fide Shakespeare scholar/grad student) went to see it performed live in the theater. This combination is an excellent way to experience Shakespeare.   And there’s that oblique reference to origami, right in the second line.


* * * * * * *

Dear Reader, what have you been reading to either learn, address angst, or escape?



3 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Have fun on your trip! What are you going to see?

Common Household Mom said...

The plan is to see all the usual touristy things. But basically, we'll go wherever the guides say we should go. And more importantly, won't go where they say we shouldn't.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked Becky's book. It does work so beautifully as a devotional. Hamlet! Good grief!