Sunday, February 4, 2018

Favorite books read in 2017

Little Free Library


The best fiction I read in 2017

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.  
Far and away the best writing of any book I read in 2017.   Based on this book alone, the author's Nobel Prize is well-deserved.

The President’s Hat by Antoine Laurain (translated from the French  by Gallic Books).

A Moveable Feast, by Ernest Hemingway.

Tortilla Flat, by John Steinbeck. 

Standard Deviation, by Katherine Heiny.

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury. 



The best non-fiction I read in 2017

Gender Revolution: Special Issue, National Geographic magazine, January 2017.

On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century, by Timothy Snyder. 
I read it twice in 2017. 

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood, by Trevor Noah.  
I really enjoyed this fascinating memoir. 

The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person’s Guide to Writing in the 21st Century, by Steven Pinker.

Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America, by Michael Eric Dyson. 
-->
This was a difficult read because of the subject matter.  Nevertheless, I recommend it to white American Christians.



How about you?  Do you have any favorites that you have read recently? Have you ever used a Little Free Library?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My book club read and LOVED The President's Hat. I'd read more by him.

Patience_Crabstick said...

I read remains of the day years ago and loved it. Have you seen the movie?

Most of what I read in 2017 was fairly light and I think my favorites were the books by Margery Sharp, particularly Sun in Scorpio and The Nutmeg Tree.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

We have a Little Free Library just down the street (2 blocks, as compared to the actual public library 9/10 of a mile up the road) and it is stuffed full of books. I do have a borrow, read, and donate relationship with the LFL.
My brain is often compared (by me) to a colander, so while I'd love to tell you all about my 2017 reading, I can't come up with a single book right now despite being a member of a book group and having a reading habit on my own. *sigh*