Sunday, July 17, 2016

Family Five

 Following Spokalulu’s lead, I will tell you five things about our week here in the Common Household.  I photographed most of these events, but can’t provide any photos, because I haven’t had time to upload them from the camera yet.

1. Last Sunday, in the afternoon, we all went to the Conservatory. That’s a place for plants, not pianos.  It’s not exactly the best place to go on a hot summer day, as it is quite humid inside, but 3/4 of us enjoyed it greatly.  We went into the Butterfly Room, which isn’t always open.  I can tell you that butterflies are very hard to photograph. 

2.  Younger Daughter drove to the Conservatory.  She has now driven into town three times.   I’m getting the hang of it.  Not getting outrageously nervous while she’s driving, that is.

3. Older Niece (ON) has been making dinner for us on most nights.  Earlier in the week, when I went to the grocery store, I saw some huge portobello mushrooms, so I bought them, figuring that ON would be able to decide what to do with them. 

Me:  “I went to the grocery store today.  Look what I got!”  (shows family a bag of huge Portobello mushrooms. ON appreciated them.)
Me:  “They still have a lot of dirt on them.”

ON:   “That’s just extra nutrients.”

Husband: That’s what they call “The Dirt to Table” movement.

While I did some actual paid work, ON and YD made the most delicious mushroom caps, marinading them in some Italian salad dressing and then putting grape tomatoes, garlic, and bell peppers on top.  Bake or broil for some number of minutes.  They were not only yummy but gorgeous works of art.

4. ON has been to the park several times, to enjoy nature.  Once when I went to pick her up, we continued driving through the park, and went past some kids slowly riding skateboards while they were looking down at their phones.  We guessed that they were probably playing “Pokemon Go.”   Children, don’t play Pokemon Go while driving a moving vehicle of any kind!

5. Since today is National Ice Cream Day, we decided to have just a leeetle bit of dinner, and then went out for a lot of ice cream.   

There was a lot more than that (such as being one of the worship leaders at church), but that’s five things, and enough for now.





4 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

My favorite huge portobello mushroom "recipe" is to grill them drizzled with olive oil, with bits of mozzarella cheese in the caps and tomatoes, too. Heavenly!
I had ice cream for dinner without knowing it was National Ice Cream Day, so I'm glad to know I ate appropriately! Now I will have a leeetle bit of dinner as "dessert."
We filled a very long pew at my in-laws' church this morning and it wasn't even all of the family who had attended the 80th birthday party on Saturday.
Butterflies are indeed very difficult to photograph!
Is ON living with you this summer?

Patience_Crabstick said...

I'm teaching my son to drive too. It's terrifying, but he's getting better and better at it.

Anonymous said...

I'd take a cautious driver over a daredevil any day. That's how T was, VERY careful!
Glad your girl is getting a slow learn on that.
And butterflies! Nice.

The Crislers said...

I haven't had mushrooms in years and years, and keep telling myself that I am an adult now, and should just try them again, already! I think I need someone to cook them for me, though, as I just can't bring myself to purchase any.

I cannot imagine driving with my children. I just can't. Can you get a certain type of prescription medication for just such an occasion? Say, the same kind of thing I take before walking into a dentist's office?

We were at a park last week and saw a couple college students riding their bikes while playing Pokemon Go (or whatever it is). I was so worried for them. They didn't crash while I was watching, but surely it's just a matter of time.