Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Torrent of Baking

Nutmeg cookie logs, decorated by me.

Nutmeg cookie logs, decorated by Older Daughter.

My brother keeps sending me photos of cookies he has baked - so far, five kinds.  Then my sister-in-law (his wife) called and asked me to make Nutmeg Cookie Logs.  Because it just wouldn't be Christmas without Nutmeg Cookie Logs.  (Well, it would, but you know...)

We worshiped God on Sunday by performing the Christmas cantata.   It went well and was well received by the congregation, although I don't know how God felt about it.  I was thrilled to be able to participate, even though I just crashed through some random chords on the last piece.

I will be taking a break from my Deep Thoughts until sometime in the New Year.  So I leave you with photos of our baking.  We baked ALL DAY on Monday, and more today.

Raw snickerdoodles (requested by my husband)

I am not sure it was a good idea to try to make snickerdoodles
in Christmas colors.

Red, green, and regular snickerdoodles


Some steps have been taken toward the construction
of a gingerbread Tardis.

The Tardis parts are in the freezer, and may or may
not be made into a Tardis within our lifetimes.

Apple pie

We tried a new recipe for blueberry pie.  It called for
boiled blueberries.

Blueberry pie, complete with a rift
in the space-time continuum (on the right)




Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Angie said...

What a tempting assortment of baked goods! The nutmeg logs sound good. I made a gingerdoodle this year -- like a snickerdoodle but with a gingersnap taste. Torrent . . . great verb!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I went to our local "fancy grocery store" and bought our Christmas feast--dessert and all. First year I've never baked or dipped or frosted or sprinkled a single thing. Your work looks lovely and delicious.

Cassi said...

Yummy! And I think all pies should come with a tear in the space-time continuum. :-)

The Crislers said...

Could you come to my house and make the apple pie and Christmas candy I foolishly promised various family members? Because your treats look delicious, particularly those pies. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!

And is the below new recaptcha system Google's Christmas present to us? I love being able to simply check a box rather than having my vision tested to prove I'm not a robot.

smalltownme said...

I do hope the Tardis materializes.

The only baking that's happening here is a pie. However, there is a tub of delicious Danish cookies in the pantry.

Merry Christmas!

slow panic said...

hope you had a wonderful wonderful Christmas and that you have a peaceful New Year.

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

Lovely-lovely goodies!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I love your mini bio-- it's such a gracious summary of what might have been the hardest part about my work-crew while I was in Antarctica: they were scientists while I am not.

And (in a variant of your description) I am a person of faith and they are not.

Much has been made of being wiling to reach out to those unlike you, but I think it's just as important to know the 'you' that's doing the reaching, and being solid in who that you is supposed to be.

Happy new year!