Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

A blessed Christmas to all.

Last night, the fourth night of Hanukkah, we had real latkes for dinner, rather than ones made from a mix. Yum! Then we headed off to the candlelight worship service. The choir sang, the bell ringers rang, we heard the age-old story of a baby born in humble circumstances, we sang hymns (lots of them!). And the candlelight service brought tears to my eyes (as usual) because of its loveliness. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

It's different being home for Christmas - usually we are visiting my family. We didn't get up until 8 am or so. First we opened the things in our stockings - my favorite part of gift-giving at Christmas is stockings - all those little gifts and candy! There was much trading of candy, something I never did as a kid. Then a leisurely breakfast, followed by opening of gifts to each other. That part goes fairly quickly when there are just 5 instead of 15 people.

Maybe it's good we're home - seems like one of my dear ones has a fever...

1 comment:

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

I always cry at the Christmas Eve candlelight service too, did last night, as the congregation lifts thier candles and collective voices singing Silent Night. I agree, it's lovely.